Friday, September 21, 2007

Sometimes You Want To Go Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Last night I went back to my hometown for the first high school football game under the new lights in Cedar Grove. For the past few years, living in Pearl River has made me pass through daily life anonymously. No hellos at the bagel shop. No horn toots as friends drive by the house. As an in-betweener just starting his own family, those roots are just being planted in my new town. But, it's great to go back home from time to time where, even though you've been gone for over a decade, people still bring up in the context of casual conversation how great your 8th grade football team was, and stories that begin with "I remember when." I know that may be a bit overboard but it makes you feel good...like you mattered when you were here, and that you can always go back. By the way, CG won 28-3. Go Panthers!

No comments: